Call Us!

Griffith Observatory

Griffith Observatory sees the road in Los Angeles, California, in southern Hollywood in Park Hollywood. It has panoramic eyes in Los Angeles and Los Angeles in South Angeles and southeastern and southwest and southwest. This observatory has become a favorite tourist destination that offers Hollywood blockbusters and many sciences and astronomy shows. It is named for its patron, Griffith J. Griffith. Admission has been free since the lab opened in 1935, based on the donor’s wishes. More than 7 million people have seen through the 12-inch (30.5 cm) Zeiss refractor since the Observatory opened in 1935. This is the highest number of people seen through the telescope.


On December 16, 1896, 315 acres (12.20 km2) adjacent to the survey site were granted to Griffith J. Griffith by the City of Los Angeles. Griffith provided funds to build an observatory, museum, and planetarium on the land given by will. Griffith aimed to open astronomy to everyone, contrary to the traditional belief that observatories should be located on remote mountains and reserved for scientists. Griffith wrote the requirements for the laboratory. Griffith worked with Walter Sydney Adams, the new director of the Mount Wilson Observatory, and George Ellery Hale when he drafted the plan. They co-founded (with Andrew Carnegie) the first telescope for astronomy situated in Los Angeles. It was a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project; construction began on the 20th of June, 1933, with a concept created by the architects John C. Austin and Frederic Morse Ashley (1870-1960) and based on a painting by Russell W. Porter.


The first exhibition visitors saw in 1935 included the Foucault pendulum, designed to show the earth’s motion. It also has a 12-inch (305 mm) Zeiss refractor telescope in the east dome, a triple solar coelostat (solar telescope) in the west dome, and a 38-foot relief display of the Moon’s north polar region. Griffith wanted the lab to have an evolutionary demonstration. This was accomplished by presenting The Cosmochron, including Caltech Professor Chester Stock’s article and accompanying slide show. The Evolution exhibit ran from 1937 to the mid-1960s. The first feature was the planetarium under the large central dome. The first broadcast covered topics such as the moon, the solar system, planets, and solar eclipses. The planetarium theater was renovated in 1964 and included a Mark IV Zeiss projector. Bed Bug Exterminator Los Angeles

Café du bout de l’univers Café du bout de l’univers is one of the many cafes owned by the famous chef Wolfgang Puck. The walls of the cafe are covered with the most extensive picture ever created by astronauts (152 feet (46) long and 20 feet (6.1 meters) high), known as “The Big Picture,” showing the constellations in the Virgo cluster; Customers can view detailed images handheld or use the telescope up to 18 meters (60 feet). In 2006, the Zeiss Mark IX Universarium replaced the vintage Zeiss Mark IV Star projector from 1964. The old planetarium projector is part of an underground exhibition of how humans see the sky.

Address: 2800 E Observatory Rd, Los Angeles, CA

Find more similar movies The Hollywood Sign